All Conservancy volunteers must be 18 years or older unless otherwise noted. Some tasks may be appropriate for children accompanied by adults; when in doubt, check in with Conservancy staff at 901-214-5450 or email@example.com.
Park monitors are the eyes and ears of Overton Park Conservancy. They provide helpful information to Overton Park visitors, enhancing the overall park experience for everyone. Duties may include:
- Monitoring park activities in a friendly and welcoming manner
- Making regular contact with Overton Park Conservancy about their observations
- Greeting park visitors
- Providing information and assistance to park visitors
Park monitors enjoy helping others explore and enjoy Overton Park and are able to communicate effectively with individuals and groups of all ages.
Volunteer Work Days
The Conservancy schedules quarterly volunteer work days to assist us with park maintenance activities. Some typical tasks might include:
- General cleanup of park grounds
- Planting, weeding, and mulching of flowerbeds
- Removal of non-native invasive plant species
- Refreshing safety surface at Overton Bark and Rainbow Lake Playground
- Resurfacing the limestone running trail
- Painting picnic tables
Our work day volunteers enjoy keeping Overton Park clean and green. All required skills are taught on the job as needed. These opportunities are often ideal for families and groups of young people.
Special Event Volunteers
Our event volunteers provide production assistance for rentals and special events–including A Day of Merrymaking in the summertime–to ensure that everyone has an exciting and fun time at Overton Park. Duties may include:
- Greeting attendees
- Assisting with admissions
- Setting up and tearing down sites or stage elements
- Assisting at hospitality areas
- General event monitoring and crowd flow management
Attention to detail and previous experience in event management is a plus!
Does your company, church, community group, or neighborhood association have an enthusiastic group of people in need of a volunteer project? Organizational events are opportunities for larger groups to give one-half to one day of service to Overton Park. Opportunities include:
- Litter removal
- Non-native plant species removal
- Special event staffing
- Special park maintenance projects
Organizational volunteers must generally be 18 years or older; if children are allowed, they must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. A representative of the group is required to meet with the Director of Operations and/or Director of Volunteers prior to the scheduled work day to review details.
Ready to apply to be a volunteer? Click here!
READ THE FINE PRINT
Overton Park volunteers must agree to a standard of acceptable conduct that will reflect positively on Overton Park, the Overton Park Conservancy, and the City of Memphis, and not diminish or jeopardize public trust. Volunteers must agree to behave appropriately at all times and not consume, possess, or be under the influence of any alcoholic beverage, tobacco product, or illegal drug on any volunteer project.